I am posting this special recipe for this festive season as a guest post for Anjali Dhawan, author of the awesome food blog 'It's All About Food'. An amazing sweet from the land of coconuts is this Black halwa. Though This is an authentic recipe of Kerala, I have tasted this number of times from my Srilankan friend. Her mom used to do this sweet for every Diwali and send us. I learnt this recipe from her and started doing at home. The coconut milk , coconut oil and ghee gives awesome flavor to this recipe. Though it’s a time consuming one, once you taste this you never miss to do this for any festive occasion.
- Pre time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Yields: 25 pieces
Ingredients needed to make Rice Flour Black Halwa:
- Rice flour 200 gms
- Palm sugar / Karuppatti / Black Jaggery 600 gms
- Coconut shredded from 2 shells of coconut (1 full coconut)
- Ghee / clarified butter 150 ml
- Coconut oil 100 ml
- Green cardamom powder ½ tea spoon
- Roasted cashews
How to make Rice flour Black Halwa?
- Add warm water to coconut squeeze well with hand and put them in to blender and extract coconut milk and filter them. Keep the extracted milk aside. (4 cups)
- Powder the jiggery and melt it in a pan adding 200 ml of water. Once it is melted filter it and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add rice flour, coconut milk, cardamom powder, sugar syrup and mix well without any lumps.
- Now switch on the stove.
- Keep stirring without taking off your hands.
- When the stuff starts thickening and comes to milk shake consistency pour 3 tea spoons of ghee.
(The above measurements need 45 to 50 minutes of cooking time)
Note: Use traditional heavy bottomed pan instead of Non stick pans
Keep stirring patiently in low or medium flame and never keep the flame high.