Akkaravadisal is a rich, classic and traditional sweet and a type of Sweet Pongal. Since the rice and dal are cooked in Milk, it has unique taste and it is similar to Sarkkarai Pongal but the consistency is semi solid. It is done in two ways adding either sugar or jagerry. I am giving the recipe for making with jagerry...
Ingredients for making Akkaravadisal:
- Raw rice 3/4 cup
- Moong dal 1/4 cup
- Milk 4 cups
- Powdered Jagerry tightly packed 1 1/2 cups
- Ghee 4 tb spoons
- Cardamom Powder
How to make Akkaravadisal?
- In a kadai dry roast the dal and rice till they become hot and wash well.
- Add milk and pressure cook them in a cooker up to 4 or 5 whistles.
- The vessel that has the rice and dal with milk should be large enough to avoid the milk foaming out of the vessel while cooking.
- Mean while add a cup of water and boil the jaggery till it dissolves well. When it starts boiling filter it to remove the dusts and keep aside.
- Mash the cooked dal and rice well and transfer the stuff and jagerry syrup to a heavy bottomed pan and keep stirring in medium flame.
- Add the ghee in between while stirring.
- Once everything mix well and comes to the semi solid consistency switch off the stove adding cardamom powder. Add the roasted cashews.
- ( Few strings of saffron soaked in warm milk could be added finally to make it richer)