One who tastes this Veppillakatti for the first time will become a fan of this. An authentic, traditional side dish for curd rice from the cuisine of Palakkad Iyers. Usually it is said that in the Tamil month of Ippasi / Aswin (Mid october) making Veppillakatti brings prosperity. whether it is true or not, the leaves used for making this side dish are very fresh and tender during this month. Moreover since Omam(Ajwain) is used, it is also good for digestion.
- Pre time: 30 mins
- Making time: 10 mins
Ingredients for making Veppillakatti:
- Lemon leaves 1 cup
- Citron leaves / Narthai Leaves 1/2 cup (If Citron leaves are not available don't worry, Continue with the rest of the ingredients)
- Curry leaves 1 cup
- Omam (Ajwain) 2 tea spoon
- Red Chillies 6
- Hing powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Jagerry a small gooseberry size
- Tamarind pieces finely chopped from a gooseberry size tamarind
- Salt to taste
How to make Veppillakatti?
- Pluck fresh leaves mentioned above and wash them well.
- Wipe them to make dry with a kitchen towel.
- With the help of a scissor remove the stems if any and cut them to pieces to make them to get powdered easily.
- Then add all the ingredients together in a mixie jar and powder them dry without adding water. Make them into small balls and store it in a bottle.
- This gives an excellent and extraordinary flavour that you would never tasted before....