The Mulligatawny soup which means pepper curried water is an English soup with Indian origin. This healthy , richly flavoured soup is very ideal and perfect for a cold day. Here is the simple and easiest way to make the perfect vegetarian Mulligatawany Soup...
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Mulligatawny Soup:
- Pepper 1 and 1/2 tea spoons
- Bay leaf 1
- Cinnamon sticks and cloves 2 each
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Vegetable Oil 2 tea spoons or Butter
- Minced Garlic 3 pearls
- Very finely chopped baby onions from 4 onions
- Chopped tomatoes 2
- Grated cabbage 1 table spoon
- Grated green chillies 1
- Diced veggies like carrot, potato and green beans 1 table spoon each
- Green peas 2 tea spoons
- Grated apple 2 table spoons
- Basmathi rice 1/2 table spoon
- Moongh dal 1 table spoon
- Thiur dal or masoor dal 1/2 table spoon
- Thick coconut milk 100 ml
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves
How to make Mulligatawny Soup?
Wash the rice and dals together, rinse off the water and keep aside.
Heat a pressure cooker or Pressure Pan with oil.
Once it is heated put the bay leaf and pepper corns.
Then fry the cinnamons, cloves, onions, garlic and green chillies for few seconds.
Now put the peas, veggies and apple. Add the turmeric powder.
Stir for a minute.
Add the rinsed rice and lentils and stir well.
Pour in 4 cups of water and required salt.
Pressure cook up to 4 whistles.
Once the steam is released allow it to cool down and put in to a blender and grind to a paste.
Add water and bring in to a pouring consistency.
Switch on the stove and boil the stuff for 5 minutes.
Transfer them to bowls and add some coconut milk to each bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.