Masal Vadai made adding lot of onion is a popular road side snack in Tamil nadu. The Masal Vadai sold in my school canteen (I am a teacher) always stands special in taste and stays crispy for a long time without becoming hard and dry. I got the recipe from the chef and from then, started to follow the method given by him. Not only as a snack, in south Tamil nadu many people have the habit of having Masal Vadai as the side dish for Rice.
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 10
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE RECIPES OF MUPARUPPU VADAI , GUJARATI DAL VADA AND AAMAI VADAI
Ingredients for making Masal Vadai:
- Pattani Paruppu / Yellow split peas / Vadai Paruppu 200 gms
- Urad dal 2 table spoons
- Red chillies 4 or 5
- Finely chopped green chillies from 2 chillies
- Ginger piece 2 inch size peeled
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Curry Leaves
- Shallots / Ulli / Baby onions 20 peeled and chopped
- Oil for frying
Method for making Masal Vadai:
Soak the dals and red chilli in water for 90 minutes.
Then wash well and drain the water completely out.
In a blender jar add ginger pieces, red chillies and the dals with required salt.
Without adding water give few turns .
Mix well with a spatula and again give few turns.
Let the stuff be a very coarse batter and be thick.
Even if some dals are found un grounded, don't bother.
Transfer to a broad bowl.
Add chopped chillies, curry leaves and shallots.
If you don't get shallots, chopped onions could be used. But shallots give extra ordinary taste and flavour for each bite.
Heat oil in a pan.
Once the oil is heated, take a plastic sheet and wipe it well with water or oil.
Place a small lemon size batter on it and gently press and drop in to the oil.
Make 5 or 6 and fry to crispy in medium flame and take out.
Enjoy the Masal Vadai with piping hot tea or coffee.Note:
- Pattani Paruppu looks similar to Chana dal. It is also sold as Vadai Paruppu in shops. It gives perfect texture to the Vadais.
- Adding Urad dal helps to retain the softness and prevents the vadai from becoming hard when it gets cooled.