Ingredients needed for the Vazhaipoo Shallow fry Kolas:
- Chopped Banana flowers 2 cups
- Finely chopped onions 1 cup
- Finely chopped green chillies 2 tea spoons
- Grated Ginger 1 tea spoon
- Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu 2 cups
- Thur dhal 2 tb spoons
- Black gram/ Urad dal 1 tb spoon
- Fennel seeds / Saunf / Sombu 2 tea spoons
- Red Chillies 3
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves
Method for preparing the Vazhaipoo Vadai:Step 1
The individual flowers should be taken out and the top of the flower should be rubbed gently.
Then remove the stamen part of the each flower out.
Then collect the flowers and chop them finely and put them in buttermilk water. (add 1 tb spoon of buttermilk in water and this prevents the vegetable from becoming black)
Soak All the dhals given and red chillies in water for two hours. Drain the water and grind them very coarsely with required salt. Add the chopped onions, Vazhaipoo, Green chillies, ginger, fennel seeds, coriander leaves and curry leaves and mix well.
Heat the Appe Pan (Kuzhipaniyara Pan) and fill each crater with half tea spoon of oil and spread it well.
Take lemon size balls of the Vada mix and place them one by one in the Appe pan.
Just roll them around to enable them to get evenly fried.
If needed sprinkle some oil.
Once they become golden brown balls take them out and serve hot.