Pakarkai Pitlai is a traditional and famous Tamil Brahmin recipe cooked with bitter gourd and boiled lentils. Since the freshly ground spices are added it gives a wonderful taste. The consistency will be slightly thicker than sambar. It is used as kuzhambu/sambar and also as a side dish for Morekuzhambu rice...
Ingredients for making Pakarkai Pitlai:
- Chopped Bitter gourd 1 cup
- Tamarind juice extracted from a lemon size tamarind 3 cups
- Coriander seeds 3 tb spoons
- Chana dal 2 tb spoons
- Red chillies 5
- Pepper corns 1/2 tea spoon
- Boiled Thur dal 1 cup
- Hing a small piece
- Coconut 2 tb spoons
- Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds for seasoning
Method for making Pakarkai Pitlai:
- Boil the bitter gourd pieces to soft in the tamarind water with turmeric powder, and salt.
- Add the boiled thur dal and mix well. Add a small piece of jaggery.
- Then add the ground paste and allow to boil till the gravy thickens.
- Saute it with mustard seeds cumin seeds & curry leaves.