We call this raw mango pickle as Milagai Mangai and we love to eat both rice and dosa with this pickle. The fresh crunchy pieces of mango tossed with oil and spices gives a divine taste when you have with curd rice. This pickle can be had as soon as you made it and it also tastes well to have as side dish with any salt porridge.
Ingredients for making Milagai Mangai
- Chopped raw mango pieces 1 big bowl (Take a stiff raw mango which is not flat but fleshy)
- Red chilli powder 3 tea spoons
- Dry roasted and powdered crystal salt 1 1/2 tea spoons
- Hing powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Dry roasted and powdered fenu greek 1 tea spoon
- Sesame oil 3 table spoons
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
Method for making Milagai Mangai:
In a bowl, preferably a china clay or a glass bowl take the mango pieces. Add salt and red chilli powder and mix well.
Now add the fenugreek powder, but don't stir. Let it stay on the top.
Heat a kadai with Oil.
When it starts to give out smoke add the mustard seeds and hing and pour it into the bowl on the fenugreek powder.
Stir well. Now the tangy, spicy and fresh Milagai mangai is ready to eat. Store it in a dry glass bottle and refrigerate.