Very tasty, lip smacking kuzhambu that tickles your taste buds. The roasted fenugreek powder gives awesome aroma to this kuzhambu. It can be had mixing with rice or as side dish to curd rice, arisi upma, dosa, adai and upma kozhukattai...
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Venthaya Kuzhambu (Fenugreek seeds Gravy) :
- Tamarind a big lemon size
- Fenugreek seeds 3 tea spoons
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Shallots / Baby Onions 15
- Finely chopped tomatoes from 2 tomatoes
- Few curry leaves
- Jaggery a gooseberry size
- Gingelly / Sesame oil 50 ml
- Coriander seed powder 3 tea spoons
- Red chilli powder 2 tea spoons
- Pepper powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt 1 and 1/2 tea spoon
How to make Venthaya Kuzhambu (Fenugreek seeds Gravy) ?
Soak Tamarind in water and extract 500 ml of juice and keep aside.
Remove the skin of baby onions and cut them each in to two and keep aside.
Heat a pan and dry roast the fenu greek seeds till they become golden dark brown.
Powder them finely and keep aside.
Heat the pan again with oil.
Fry the onions for some time and add the tomatoes.
Let them to fry stirring often till the tomatoes become mushy.
Add the chilli powder, pepper powder and the coriander seed powder to the pan and stir for few seconds.
Pour the juice in to it with salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida, jaggery.
Wait till the stuff thickens well like a gravy and the oil separates.
Finally add the powdered fenugreek powder and mix well.
Switch off the stove after a minute.
Do the seasoning with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves and add to the gravy.