This Tomato Chutney is the popular side dish served in many Restaurants of Tamil nadu especially in Tirunelveli for Idli, Dosa and Pongal. The fried onions soaked in Tomato pulp, the roasted dals in it blend with the spices and serves as the wonderful side dish. This chutney also tastes very nice to have with rotis...
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Serves: 3
Ingredients for making Tomato Chutney with Sautéd Onions:
- Well Ripened and Firm Tomatoes 3
- Salt 1/2 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder 3/4 tea spoon
- Jagerry a small piece
- Asafoetida powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Tamarind a pinch
Grind all the above items together finely in a blender and keep aside.
- Oil 2 table spoons
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Urad dal and Chana dal 1 tea spoon each
- Sliced onions from 1 big onion
- Curry leaves
How to make Tomato Chutney with Sautéd Onions?
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Do the seasoning with mustard seeds and the dals.
- Once they splutter and dals become brown add the onions and curry leaves.
- Fry for two minutes in medium flame.
- Pour the tomato pulp in to the pan.
- Add a cup of water.
- Wait till it thickens like chutney.
- Switch off the stove.