Nothing could equalize the Curd rice and Maavadu combination. The red chilli gravy with the strong raw mango flavour and hotness tastes very inviting to have as side dish for upma, pongal and even dosa. Maavadu is also known as Vadu mangai and kadugu Mangai. I still remember those days when my grandma used to buy these raw baby mangoes in sack and make pickles for the whole family members. That too the fresh crunchy raw mangoes soaked in red chilli gravy with its sour and tanginess gives heavenly taste. Here is the perfect recipe of my Grandma for making this pickle that lasts for even a year...
- Raw baby mangoes 8 cups
- Red chillies 2 cups/ red chilli powder 1 cup
- Crystal Salt 1cup
- Mustard seeds 3/4 cup
- Turmeric stick (Curcunin) an inch size (விரளி மஞ்சள்)
- or 1 tea spoon turmeric powder
How to make Maavadu?
Wash the raw mangoes well and wipe them completely dry with a neat cloth.
Now measure the maavadu with a cup.
The proportion of maavadu and salt is 8:1.
That is for 8 cups of maavadu you should put 1 full cup of crystal salt. (8:1)
Add the salt to maavadu and mix well and keep aside for three days well covered.
Atleast thrice a day you should mix it well with a woodden laddle.
In three days the raw mangoes will become shrunk give out water.
In a mixie jar put 3/4 cup of mustard seeds and grind to powder.
Add 1 cup of red chilli powder to it and take out some salt water from the soaked raw mango and grind to paste adding some turmeric powder. (or crush the turmeric stick and grind)
Now add the paste to the soaked raw mangoes and mix well.
In two days it gives out more water and the baby raw mangoes start floating in red chilli water.
The yummy pickle is ready to eat now.
Store them in glass bottles or clay jars and use.
- Always buy round shaped raw baby mangoes instead lengthy ones.
- Because the lengthy ones with sharp edge does not last longer.
- Some people apply castor oil on the mangoes before making pickle. It is optional.
- Always use glass or clay pots for making this pickle. Since Mine has narrow neck and could not take photograph, I placed a smaller portion in this Plastic bowl to capture images.