A great accompaniment packed with the unique flavor of coriander leaves to have with anything. It goes very well with anything on your platter. It serves as Chutney with dosa, idly , pongal, as Dip with with any fried snacks, as Spread with bread roast , rotis, as Pickle with curd rice and it goes on. Since this thokku is made in a pickled form, it can be refrigerated and kept for nearly ten days.
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients for making Coriander Leaves / Kothamalli Thokku:
- Fresh Coriander leaves a large bundle ( 250 gms)
- Tamarind a lemon size
- Red Chillies 10 to 12
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Jaggery a large gooseberry size
- Salt to taste
- Fenugreek seeds / Venthayam 1 and 1/2 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Gingelly / Sesame oil 75 ml
How to make Coriander Leaves / Kothamalli Thokku?
- Remove the root and stem part of the coriander leaves and wash them well to make dirt free.
- Spread them on a white cloth and cut in to smaller pieces with a scissor or knife and keep aside.
- Dry roast the fenu greek seeds to brown, powder them and keep aside.
- Boil half cup of water and soak the tamarind in it after taking off the seeds from it if any.
- In a blender jar add the leaves, red chillies, salt, tamarind with the soaked water and grind to smooth paste. If needed add some water while grinding.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with the oil.
- Do the seasoning with the mustard seeds.
Once they splutter, put the asafoetida powder and turmeric powder to it and pour the ground mixture in to the pan and mix well.
Le t the stuff to boil well for 10 to 15 minutes with the pan closed since, it spills out while boiling.
After 15 minutes, remove the lid and keep the flame to medium.
Add the jagerry.
Stir the stuff then and there.
Wait till till the thokku becomes thick like a paste and the oil separates.
Add the fenugreek powder and switch off the stove.
Once the Kothamalli thokku becomes cold, store it in a clay pot or glass bottle.
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE RECIPE OF AUTHENTIC RAW MANGO THOKKU AND NELLIKKAI / GOOSEBERRY THOKKU
Very nice recipes also wonderfully written and helpful article.ReplyDelete
Cakes To Indore
Cool. Thank you that yummi Kothamalli Thokku receipe. I will definitly try your receipe. ShayariReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete