A traditional and flavorful sweet of Tamilnadu made every year during the harvest festival called 'Pongal' with newly harvested rice and fresh jagerry. It is offered to Sun God as a Tribute to him.Here is the simple recipe for making the delicious Sweet Pongal recipe..
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Sarkkarai Pongal:
- Raw rice 1 cup
- Moong dal 3 tea spoons
- Jaggery Powder 2 cups (tightly packed)
- Milk 1 cups and Water 4 cups
- Ghee 5tb spoons
- Kis miss few
- Cardamom Powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Edible Camphor a pinch (pachai karpooram)
- Nutmeg powder a pinch
Method for making Sarkkarai Pongal:
- In a kadai dry roast the Moong dal till the colour slightly changes and nice aroma comes. Transfer it to a vessel.
- Then dry roast the rice till it gets warm .
- Wash the rice and moong dhal together and add milk and water to them.
- Pressure cook them up to 4 whistles. After the steam is released mash them with a ladle well and keep aside.
- Mean while add a cup of water to the jaggery and boil it. Filter the residue and take the boiled syrup.
- In a pan boil the jagerry water for 5 minutes. When it starts becoming thicker add the mashed stuff to it and mix well in medium flame.
- Add ghee at intervals while mixing.
- Add the cardamom powder, edible camphor and nut meg powder too.
- When the Pongal thickens comes together switch off the stove.
- Roast the cashews and kismiss in ghee and add to the Sweet.