A traditional and flavorful sweet of Tamilnadu made every year during the harvest festival called 'Pongal' with newly harvested rice and fresh jagerry. It is offered to Sun God as a Tribute to him.Here is the simple recipe for making the delicious Sweet Pongal recipe..
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Sarkkarai Pongal:
- Raw rice 1 cup
- Moong dal 3 tea spoons
- Jaggery Powder 2 cups (tightly packed)
- Milk 1 cups and Water 4 cups
- Ghee 5tb spoons
- Kis miss few
- Cardamom Powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Edible Camphor a pinch (pachai karpooram)
- Nutmeg powder a pinch
Method for making Sarkkarai Pongal:
- In a kadai dry roast the Moong dal till the colour slightly changes and nice aroma comes. Transfer it to a vessel.
- Then dry roast the rice till it gets warm .
- Wash the rice and moong dhal together and add milk and water to them.
- Pressure cook them up to 4 whistles. After the steam is released mash them with a ladle well and keep aside.
- Mean while add a cup of water to the jaggery and boil it. Filter the residue and take the boiled syrup.
- In a pan boil the jagerry water for 5 minutes. When it starts becoming thicker add the mashed stuff to it and mix well in medium flame.
- Add ghee at intervals while mixing.
- Add the cardamom powder, edible camphor and nut meg powder too.
- When the Pongal thickens comes together switch off the stove.
- Roast the cashews and kismiss in ghee and add to the Sweet.
Memories of Prasadam of Sree Lalithambigai temple relished more than three years back prompted me to try this recipe. Sakkarai Pongal turned out delicious. Thank you.ReplyDelete