Aviyal is the classic & traditional recipe made with the mixture of delightful green vegetables. Aviyal is a mandatory curry served in all feasts in Tamilnadu and Kerala. Aviayl is a thick mixture of Vegetables and coconut seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. This is the typical aviyal made by the brahmins in Kanyakumari and Tirunelveli district . It looks in golden yellow with more coconut. Vellarikka/Cucumber (Big size) used in this Aviyal gives a special flavour.
- Pre time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Aviyal:
- White pumpkin(Ash Gourd), Avaraikai (Broad beans),Brinjal,Cucumber,Snakeguard, Carrot(Optional), Drumstick,Yam,Raw banana and a raw mango.-All together 1 large bowl (750gms)
- Coconut oil -1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tea spoon
- Fresh curry leaves
Note: Don’t add Seppankizhangu (Taro root) since it will make the Aviyal sticky.
- Fresh grated Coconut from a shell of normal size coconut
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon full
- Green chillies – 3
- Red chillies – 1(Grind the above with very less water to a coarse consistency)
- Thick Curd 1 laldle full (if raw mango is not used)
Method for making Aviyal:
- Cut the vegetables into thin long pieces (2 inches). Take a broad pan .
- First boil all the vegetables with salt and turmeric powder except raw banana and Brinjal with enough water.
- Add these two vegetables after 5 minutes.
- After the veggies become soft and the water becomes minimum in the pan add the ground coconut mixture and mix well.
- Now add the curd and mix well.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves and leave for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
- This also sounds very good with Adai. Adai and Aviyal is the very popular combo in Restaurants.
- Note: My Grandma also adds either Tamarind juice or she just drops a lemon sized ball of tamarind to the boiling vegetables. Once they get boiled she takes the ball out. This method could also be used.