Have you ever tried of making Sambar with Cabbage? If not, Don't delay. You will be amazed at the taste of this delicious Sambar that makes every body to love Cabbage. On busy weekly days this recipe serves as the side dish for morning breakfast and also as the companion for the Rice during Lunch. It also tastes extra ordinary when had with Rotis. A healthy side dish with the goodness of lentils and cabbage....
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Cabbage Sambar:
- Finely chopped Cabbage from 250 gms of cabbage
- Chopped onions and Tomato from 1 each
- Sambar Powder 3 tea spoons
- Thur dal and Moong dal 3 tb spoons each
- (Thuvaram paruppu and Paasi Paruppu)
- Tamarind extract from a small lemon sized tamarind 500 ml
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Hing powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Oil 4 tea spoons
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenu greek seeds 3/4 tea spoon each
- Red chillies 2
- Green chillies slitted 2
How to make Cabbage Sambar?
Wash the dals, add water and a pinch of turmeric powder and pressure cook to soft for 5 whistles and keep aside.
Heat a pressure pan or Wok with oil.Fry the onions,green chillies and tomatoes for a minute.Then put the chopped cabbage and turmeric powder.
Pour the tamarind juice into it and add required salt.Let it to boil well for at least 15 minutes or till the cabbage cooks well.Add the sambar powder and mix well without any lumps. Allow to boil for 3 minutes.Add little water to the boiled dal and add to the boiling stuff. Add the hing powder too.
After boiling for 3 more minutes garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves.Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a sautéing pan and do the seasoning with the seeds given under ingredients and the red chillies and add to the Sambar.