Many Indian recipes ask for Cloves, Cinnamon, Star anise, Mace and Green Cardamom. Some times we plan to make Pulao, Fried rice or any North Indian gravy or South Indian Vegetable Kurma. But we end up in cancelling that due to non availability of any of the spice with us. Just spend 10 minutes during a week end and make this aromatic spice powder. In addition to giving the mesmerizing aroma and taste to the food it also saves your time...
- Pre time: 05 mins
- Making time: 03 mins
How to make the ready to use spice powder?
- Equal quantity of Cloves and Cinnamon (100 gms each)
- Green Cardamon 6
- Nutmeg 1/8 of a nutmeg
- Mace 50 gms
- Star anise 50 gms
Heat a pan and add all the spices and fry till they become hot in low flame.
Allow them to cool down.
Powder them coarsely.
Store in an air tight box and refrigerate.
The above said quantity will last for 5 to 6 months.
Other than for gravies, Kurmas, Biryani, Curries and Pulaos this can also be used in following ways:
1. Add a pinch of this powder while boiling water for making tea and get fantastic Masala tea.
2. Fry some onions with 1/2 tea spoon of this powder and add chopped or grated vegetable in hand and stir for few minutes till they get cooked. Mix with plain rice, garnish with coriander leaves and make instant pulao for lunch box for your kids.
3. Add a pinch of this powder to any stuff you make for Parathas.
- Garam masala Powder is different from this. That includes saunf, pepper, cumin seed, coriander seed etc., and is stronger than this powder.
- Saunf / Fennel Seeds are needed only in few south indian recipes and Biryani varieties. In such case have saunf powder separately and add it to the recipe while cooking along with this powder.