Every year in the Tamil month of Aadi , every Tuesday this Manjal Pongal and Thalaga Kuzhambu is made by Tirunelveli Brahmins. Manjal pongal is a simple dal rice / pongal and Thalagam is the Mixed veg gravy made with roasted sesame seeds and coconut. We add either ghee or coconut oil with the hot steaming dal rice and mix with the Thalagam. Vadams (Rice crisps) are the best side dish for this rice.
- Pre time : 05 mins
- Cooking time: 15 to 20 mins
- Serves : 3
Ingredients for making Manjal Pongal:
- Raw rice 2 cups
- Thur dal 1 cup
- Fresh Grated coconut 3 table spoons
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Ghee or coconut oil
How to make Ingredients for making Manjal Pongal ?
- Wash the rice dal together and add 7 cups of water, turmeric powder, coconut and required salt. Mix well.
- Pressure cook to 3 or 4 whistels. Switch off the stove.
- Before serving add ghee or coconut oil and serve with Thalagam and Crisps.
The usual pongal is made with moongh dal and it is made little mushy.
This pongal should be non sticky and is made with Thur dal.