Kalan is a truely delicious vegetable side dish boiled and simmered in curd / yogurt with spices and enhanced with the coconut paste. No feast in Kerala is complete without this Kalan. The veggies coated with rich and creamy gravy really makes it lipsmacking...
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Kalan:
- Raw banana / Plantain 2
- Yam (Sennai Kizhangu) 200 gms
- Thick curd without lumps with mild sourness 300 ml
- fenugreek / Venthayam 3/4 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Pepper powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 1 tea spoon
Coconut oil 3 tea spoons
Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
Red chillies 2
Curry leaves few
Grind 3 table spoons of fresh grated coconut, 2 green chillies and 1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds (jeeragam) to fine paste with little water and keep aside.
How to make Kalan?
1. In a pan dry roast the fenugreek seeds / venthayam to golden brown, powder it and keep aside.
2. Cut the veggies in to small cubes. Wash them.
3. In a pan pour 2 cups of water and add the Yam pieces first.
4. When they are half boiled add the banana pieces.
5. Put the salt, pepper powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
6. Allow them to boil till they are cooked and the water becomes minimum.
7. Now add ghee to the boiling stuff and pour the curd to it and stir well.
8. Let them boil till the stuff becomes thick and curd becomes creamy.
9. Transfer the coconut paste to the pan and mix well. Add the fenugreek powder too.
10. Heat a sauteing pan with coconut oil, add the tempering items and transfer to the pan.