This instant Gottu Rasam made by our grannies without powdering or grinding, yet tastes yummy and divine. Also provides a soothing effect during the rainy days and when we suffer from flu or throat pain. Enjoy this hot Gottu Rasam Rice with pappads or any crisps!!!
- Pre time: 05 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Gottu Rasam:
- Tamarind juice squeezed from a small lemon size tamarind 500 ml
- Salt to 3/4 tea spoon
- Jaggery a small pebble size
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Tomato 1 chopped
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Asafoetida 1/4 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Jeeragam / Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Pepper corns 2 tea spoons
- Dhania / Coriander Seeds 3 tea spoons
- Thur dal 2 tea spoons
- Red chillies broken 3
- Green chillies slitted 2
- Ghee or Gingellly oil 3 tea spoons
How to make Gottu Rasam?
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil.
- Add all the items mentioned under the Sauteing items and wait till the mustard seeds cracks and the thurdal becomes brown. Add some curry leaves and stir well.
- Pour the Tamarind juice in to it.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, jaggery, tomato pieces and allow the stuff to boil well till it becomes half in quantity. By this time the flavours of the cooked and soaked spices would have started dominating the Rasam.
- Add the asafoetida and Pour 100 ml of water.
- Wait till the bubbles form and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.