Vegetable Kurma is a spicy and flavorful side dish for Indian bread varieties all over India. The method of preparation differs from place to place. The vegetables are cooked in coconut based spicy gravy in South India. Here is the recipe of the South Indian Spicy Delicacy...
- Pre time: 20 mins
- Cooking time:20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making South Indian Mixed Vegetable Kurma
- Chopped Mixed Vegetables like carrot, beans, cabbage, cauliflower, potato, turnip 1 bowl
- Fresh green peas 2 tb spoons
- Capsicum 1
- Chopped onions from 2 onions
- Green chillies slitted 2
- Coriander powder 2 tea spoons
- Red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tea spoons
- Oil and Ghee 3 tea spoons each
For Masala Paste:
- Fresh coconut grated 2 tb spoons
- Cashews 4
- Kasa Kasa (Poppy seeds) 2 tea spoons
- Cloves 4
- Cinnamon sticks 1 inch stick 2 pieces
- Star Anise half
- Ani seed (Fennel seeds) 1 tea spoon
- Cardamom 1
How to make South Indian Mixed Vegetable Kurma?
Boil the mixed vegetables with some salt to soft and keep aside.
Heat a pan and dry roast all the items given under Masala paste except coconut till they become hot and add them with coconut and grind to fine paste with water and keep aside.
Heat a pan with oil and ghee. Saute it with cumin seeds. After they splutter add the onions and fry well till they become tender.
Now add the green peas and capsicum pieces and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir well.
Add all the powders like turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and stir well.
Add the boiled vegetables with half cup water. Let them boil for some time.Add required salt for the gravy.
Add the coconut paste and mix well.
When the stuff thickens add necessary water and switch off the stove when it comes to gravy consistency.
Garnish with coriander leaves.