You can have this Jeeraga Kuzhambu / Gravy made of fresh roasted Jeera powder with anything at any time. It goes well with rice, chapathi , roti , dosa, idli and pongal. Jeera Kuzhambu can be kept for a week and used. An ideal dish for this season..
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Jeeraga Kuzhambu / Cumin seed Gravy:
- Tamarind Juice 500 ml from a lemon size Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder
- Jaggery a small gooseberry size
- Jeeragam / Cumin seeds 2 tea spoons
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Fenugreek seed 3/ 4 tea spoon
- Asafoetida powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Curry leaves
- Gingelly oil 3 table spoons
For gravy paste:
- Red chillies 8 to 10
- Ripened Tomatoes 2
- Shallots / Baby onions 10 to 12
- Sesame / Gingelly oil 1 table spoon
In a pan heat oil and fry the above three items till t he tomatoes become mushy.
Grind them to paste and keep aside.
How to make Jeeraga Kuzhambu / Cumin seed Gravy?
Heat a pan and dry roast the cumin seeds in medium flame till nice aroma comes without burning it.Powder it and keep aside.
Now heat oil in the pan and do the seasoning with the given items.
Once the fenugreek seeds become golden brown add the gravy paste to the pan and stir well till the oil separates.
Pour the tamarind juice in to it and add salt, turmeric powder and jaggery.
When the gravy starts to roll on and becomes thick put the cumin seed powder in to it.
When the desired consistency reaches like a paste switch off the stove.
Garnish with some curry leaves.