- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
ALSO SEE OTHER DWADASI RECIPES AGATHI KEERAI CURRY AND NELLIKKAI THAYIR PACHADI
Ingredients for making Sundaikkai Vathal Kuzhambu:
- Sundaikkai Vathal 2 table spoons (Fry to dark brown nearly black and keep aside)
- Tamarind juice extracted from a Lemon sized Tamarind - 3 to 4 cups
- Sesame Oil - 2 table spoons
- Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon each and a red chilli for seasoning
- Hing powder - 1/4 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon
- Jaggery - A small gooseberry size
- Boiled Moongh dal / Paasi Paruppu from 1 table spoon of Moongh dal
Heat 2 tea spoons of oil in a pan and fry 2 table spoons of Urad dhal, 4 Red chillies and 1 and 1/2 table spoon pepper corns to dark brown and grind to smooth paste with water and keep aside.
Method for making Sundaikkai Vathal Kuzhambu:
- Heat the Kadai with Sesame oil. Saute it with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and red chillies.
- After they splutter add curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Now pour the Tamarind juice to it. Allow it to boil till the raw smell goes.
- Then add the Kuzhambu paste and mix well. Let it to boil till the Kuzhambu thickens.
- Now add half cup of water to the boiled moongh dal and pour in to the boiling stuff.
- Switch off the stove after few minutes.
- After switching off the stove add the fried Turkey berries and mix well.
- This will make the berries to last crispier. If you add them while boiling they will become soggy.