A comfort food to relish either as lunch or dinner with very mild spicy flavour. The methi dal fry goes very well with rotis and plain rice too. A healthy food indeed....
Recipe for Jeera rice:
- Pre time: 05 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
- Wash two cups of Basmathi rice twice, drain the water out and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with 2 table spoons of butter and one table spoon of oil.
- Add a bay leaf, some cloves, cinnamon sticks and a star aniseed to it.
- After few stirs put 2 tea spoons of cumin seeds to the pan.
- Once they splutter add the basmathi rice to the pan and stir gently for 20 seconds.
- Pour 3 and 1/2 cups of water and required salt to it. Mix well.
- Once the water starts boiling well, close the pan with a lid and keep the flame to low.
- Switch off the stove after 15 minutes.
- Give resting time 10 minutes and open the lid.
- Gently stir the rice with a fork.
- Now the rice is ready.
Recipe for the Methi Dal Fry:
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Methi Dal Fry:
- Methi leaves 2 cups
- Boiled Moongh dal pressure cooked from 1 cup of Moongh dal
- Finely shredded onions from 1 onion
- Chopped tomatoes from 2 tomatoes
- Finely chopped green chilli & Ginger 1 tea spoon each
- Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander seed powder 2 tea spoons
- Cumin seed powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Oil and Butter 1 table spoon each
How to make methi leaves Dal Fry?
Remove the Methi leaves from the stem, wash well and keep aside.
Heat a pan with oil and butter.
Do the seasoning with cumin seeds.
Once they splutter add the grren chillies and ginger and fry for 30 seconds.
Then fry the onions till they become brown in colour.
Now put all the powders in to it and stir well.
Add the Methi leaves to it and fry for few minutes in medium flame.
Add salt and boiled dal in to it,
Pour 1 cup of water.
Allow them to boil well till the oil separates.