An authentic Dosa Variety of Karnataka which is very soft, white and melts in mouth. Since it cooks very fastly, more dosas can be made in less time. These dosas are small, thick, songy and served in threes usually. They are served with Chutneys or Kurmas or Vadacurry. Vadacurry is the best combination for this Dosa.
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Soaking time: 5 hours
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 5 to 6 members
Ingredients for making Set Dosa:
- Parboiled rice/Idli Rice 1 cup
- Raw rice 1 cup
- Urad dal 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds 1 and 1/2 tea spoon
- Poha/Aval / Beaten Rice flakes 1/2 cup
- Rice flour and Maida (All purpose flour)1 tea spoon each & Sugar 1/2 tea spoon
Method for making Set dosa:
Wash the rice and urad dal together and add fenugreek to them and soak in water for five hours.
30 minutes before grinding wash the poha also and soak in water.
Now mix all the items together and grind in a wet grinder or mixie blender to smooth fine batter addding water and required salt.
Allow it to ferment for 8 hours or overnight.
After the batter ferments, Mix a cup of water to rice flour and maida flour and make a batter and add to the dosa batter and stir well.
Add 1/2 tea spoon of sugar too and mix well.
Now heat a dosa tawa and grease it with oil.
Take the batter full of ladle and pour it gently on the tawa.
Don't spread it as we make for usual dosas.
Gently spread it to small rounds. If the batter is in right consistency the batter spreads automatically to small circles once you pour on the tawa.
Drizzle few drops of oil on dosa and cover it with a lid.
After 30 to 45 seconds take off the lid.
Take the dosa out of the tawa.
It is ready to serve now with spicy Vada Curry.
- The tawa should be hot enough when you pour the batter on it to enable the dosa's to get the pores.
- The batter should be slightly thinner than regular dosa batter.
- 1/4 tea spoon of turmeric powder could be added to the batter to get restauraunt colour set dosa. I add rarely and not every time.