A simple but very tasty vegetable fry that pairs good with rice and rotis. Just keep some Ivy gourd fry on the roti, roll them and pack for the lunch box. It tastes very yummy. Sambar Rice with this Kovaikkai fry gives a wonderful treat to taste buds..
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Kovaikkai / Ivygourd Fry:
- Kovaikkai / Ivy gourd 500 gms
- Chopped Onions from 1 big onion
- Curry leaves few
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder
- Besan flour 2 table spoons
- Asafoetida powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli Powder 1 tea spoon
- Oil 4 table spoons
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds and Urad dal for seasoning
How to make Kovaikkai / Ivy gourd Fry?
- Wash the veggies and slice to thin rounds of 1/2 cm each.
- Pressure cook adding 50 ml of water with required salt to just one whistle and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Do the seasoning with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- Once they splutter add onions and curry leaves.
- While frying the onions, add red chilli powder and 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida powder and fry for a minute.
- Transfer the pressure cooked ivy gourd pieces tot he pan and stir gently.
- Keep the flame to medium and leave for a while.
- Stir at regular intervals. when the veggies are roasted well, sprinkle two table spoons of besan flour and stir.
- Switch off after 5 minutes.