Sweet Appam or Unniyappam is a traditional item originally made of Rice and Jaggery. But my mother in law makes this out of wheat flour that comes out very tasty and also easy to make. It is a special Nevidhyam we do for Karthigai and Gokulashtami...
Ingredients for making Sweet Appam:
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Rice flour – 1 table spoon
- Ripened, mashed Banana – 1
- Cardamom powder ½ t.spoon
- Chopped coconuts 1 table spoon
- (Fry them in ghee and keep aside)
- Powdered Jaggery – 1 ½ cups (dissolve it in a cup of warm water and keep it aside filtering it)
How to make Sweet Appams?
- Mix all the ingredients given above with the jaggery water.
- Mash the banana also into it.
- The batter should be at the consistency in between the roti batter and the Idly batter.
- Heat the Kuzhipaniyaram pan with oil.
- Once the oil gets heated drop a table spoon of Batter in each portion.
- When it gets boiled, it comes up to the surface.
- Then turn it upside down and once both sides become brown, take them out.
- Traditionally we add a tea spoon of ghee and sugar to the unniyappams and make them to coat well on them.
Note: Don't worry if you don't have Kuzhipaniyaram pan. Heat oil in an ordinary pan. Drop a table spoon of batter in it and wait for few seconds. It comes up to the surface. Turn it upside down and follow the above procedure.