Thengai Thogayal Podi is the very special side dish of our family and my mother in law makes it in a very special way. Though we all get the recipe from her and do it, we love her to make it and taste. This podi can be called as multi purpose podi since it serves as the side dish for rice and also Dosa, Idli and Uppma Kozhukattai. Mix it with hot rice and taste with pappad. It can be used for nearly 15 to 20 days. When you have this in stock, no need for grinding chutney separately. It is one of the best side dish for curd rice too...
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Yileds: 350 gms
Ingredients for making Thengai Thogayal Podi:
- Fresh Grated coconut from 1 large coconut
- Uradh dhal 3 table spoons
- Coriander seeds 1 table spoon
- Red chillies 10
- Tamarind a big gooseberry size
- Hing powder 1 /2 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- 5 tea spoons of oil
Method for making Thengai Thogayal Podi:
- In a pan fry the coriander seeds with some oil till the colour changes and keep aside. Then add oil and fry uradh dhal.
- When it starts to change the colour add th red chillies and stir. Once the dals become golden brown, sprinkle the asafoetida and take them out.
- Add 1 more teaspoon of oil, fry the tamarind for 30 seconds.
- In the same pan keep the flame in medium and fry the coconut patiently without oil till it becomes brown without burning. Keep it aside.
- Now finally in medium flame fry the grated coconut till it becomes golden brown and keep aside.
- Allow them all to cool.
- Take a mixie jar and powder everything together with salt except the roasted coconut.
- Finally add the roasted coconut and grind everything together to coarse powder.