Lemon rasam is made without tamrind & is dominated by the combined flavours of lemon, green chilly and Hing. Lemon rasam has its own unbeatable unique taste..
Ingredients for making Lemon Rasam:
- Ripened tomatoes -3
- Slitted Green chillies -2
- Boiled Thur dhal – ½ cup
- Rasam Powder 2 tea spoons
- Hing – ½ tea spoon
- A big size lemon – 1
- Curry leaves and coriander
- Mustard and cumin seed
- Ghee 1 tea spoon
(These measurements are for making 4 cups of rasam )
Method for making Lemon Rasam:
Cut tomatoes into small pieces and allow them boil in 3 cups of water. Add salt, turmeric powder, green chillies, Hing, Rasam powder and allow them to boil at least for ten minutes in medium flame.
Then disolve the boiled dhal in a cup of water and add to the boiling stuff.
After mixing the dhal the rasam should not be boiled for a long time. When small bubbles appear the raasam is ready.
Saute it with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves with ghee. Add coriander leaves. Then squeeze the lemon juice into the rasam and mix well every time before serving.
- Lemon juice should not be added when the rasam is boiling.
- If you don't have rasam powder then powder the following coarsely : 2 tea spoons coriander seeds, 2 red chillies, 1 tea spoon pepper and 1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds.