Medhu vada made of Urad dhal is an indispensible menu on festivals and special occasions. The morning breakfast with Idli, Pongal and Vada is an unbeatable combo. Who will say No to this crispy, Golden Hot Vadas Isn't it? Though it needs very less ingredients for making, it involves many secret tips to get good perfect medhu vada. Here are some Smart Samayal Tips to make perfect Medhu Vadas on this festive season:
- Urad dal
- Green chillies and red chillies
- Ginger an inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Curry Leaves
- Coarsely crushed pepper corns
How to make Medhu vada?
Wash the urad dal well and soak in water for 1 hour with chillies.
Drain the water out completely and add other ingredients except peppercorns and grind to fluffy batter adding little water. Finally add peppercorns and mix well with chopped curry leaves.
Tips for making Medhu Vada:
- Choose good quality whole white Urad dhal called as Madras Ulundhu.
- Wash them well and soak for just 30 minutes.30 minutes is enough for grinding in the wet grinder. If you are using mixie soak it for atleast one hour.
- While grinding drain the water completely and use cold water to grind either in a wet grinder or regular mixie blender.
- While grinding in mixie apply a tea spoon of oil inside the jar to avoid sticking of batter in between the blades.
- Add very little water by sprinkling then and there while grinding.
- If the water is too less the vadai will become hard and if too watery it becomes shapeless and absorbs more water.
- The batter should be fluffy and if you drop a tea spoon of batter in water it should float.
- After grinding add the crushed pepper corns and curry leaves as you wish and mix well.
- Instead of pepper corns you can also add finely chopped onions.
- Keep them in refrigerator just for 30 minutes and make vadas to get perfect shape and consistency.
- If you feel the batter is slightly water add one or two tea spoons of roasted rawa.
- Use greased thick plastic sheets to make vadas before dropping in the oil. Don't press them much with your four fingers. It will cause impressions on the Vadas.
- Just put a ball of batter on the plastic and press very gently. Make a hole in the centre and transfer it to the oil.
- The oil once gets heated keep the flame in medium while the vadas are getting cooked. Smoky oil will make the vadas to turn out black.
- Transfer the vadas on tissue paper and then to a container.
- Do not cover the vessel in which you store the vada immediately since it will make them soggy.
- Incorporate these tips while making Medhuvadas and get the praising from all on this festive season.....