Ulli Venthasar is very popular in Tirunelveli and Nagercoil Brahmin families. My family members are addicted to this and Ulli Venthasar is the all time favourite kuzhambu for all of us. Mix some venthasaar and gingelly oil in hot steaming rice and enjoy the divine taste with Pappads as side dish.
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Ulli Venthasar:
- Small onions / Shallots (Sambhar vengayam) cut each into two 1cup
- Tamarind a big lemon size
- Gingelly / Sesame oil – 2 table spoons
- Salt 3/4 tea spoon
- Red chilly powder- 3 tea spoons (levelled and not heaped)
- Green chilly – 2 split into two
- For seasoning- Mustard, fenugreek, Bengal gram, curryleaves and 2 red chillies
- Jaggery a gooseberry size
Method for making Ulli Venthasar:
Heat the oil in a kadai.
Add 1/2 tea spoon of mustard seeds, 2 tea spoons bengal gram, 1 tea spoon fenugreek seeds and 2 red chillies.
Once they splutter and the seeds become brown add the curry leaves, chopped onions and green chillies to it and stir for 15 seconds.
Now pour the Tamarind juice extracted of 500 ml in to the pan.
Add salt and turmeric powder.
When the tamrind juice boils and the raw smell goes , add the chilly powder and jaggery.
Allow it to boil for atleast 20 minutes in medium flame.
When it thickens add fresh curry leaves and get ready to serve.
Looks spicy and yum .... easy and simple too ....ReplyDelete