This dried coconut chutney powder is the traditional condiment we make at home very often as a substitute to pickle and chutney. The fine part of this is that it serves as the best side dish for dosa, idli and curd rice. We also add this to hot steaming rice with a tea spoon of coconut oil and enjoy with any vegetable kootu and pappad as side dish. It has a long shelf time too..
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients for making Dried Coconut Chutney Powder / Kopra thengai podi:
- Dried coconut / Kopara Thengai 1
- Coriander seeds 2 tea spoons
- Urad dal 4 tea spoons
- Chana dal / Kadala paruppu 4 tea spoons
- Red chillies 8 to 10
- Tamarind a goose berry size torn in to pieces
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery a small pebble size
- Asafoetida / Hing 1/2 tea spoon
How to make Dried Coconut Chutney Powder / Kopra thengai podi?
- Cut or pound the dried coconut to rough pieces.
- Heat a pan with 3 tea spoons of oil and roast the dals, coriander seeds and the red chillies till the dals become golden brown.
- Add the tamarind too to them and stir for few seconds.
- Transfer them to a plate.
- In the same pan put the dried coconut pieces and stir for a minute in medium flame and switch off the stove.
- Once everything gets cooled down put all the ingredients with salt and jaggery together in to a blender jar and powder coarsely.
- The divine flavoured chutney powder is ready which can be used for nearly a week even if not refrigerated.