Neer kozhukattai is almost an oil free recipe which is the traditional recipe of Kanyakumari district. We love to have this as dinner on rainy days. Since it is a complete boiled food, it is easily digestible also. A healthy and tasty tiffin that needs very less ingredients and no complicated procedure....
Ingredients needed for making Neer Kozhukattai:
- Parboiled rice/ Idli rice/ Puzhungal arisi 2 cups (around 300 gms)
- Grated coconut from a single shell of medium sized coconut (aound 6 tb spoons)
- Salt to taste
How to make Neer Kozhukattai?
Wash the rice well and soak in water for four hours.
Drain out the water completely and grind in a wet grinder or mixie adding required salt.
After few turns add the grated coconut to it and grind.
If needed sprinkle some water. But the consistency should be thick.
Grind to a finely coarse batter but not very fine smooth batter.
Transfer it to a bowl.
If you feel that the batter is slightly watery refrigerate it for an hour.
Heat a broad pan with 3 litres of water.
Add just one teaspoon of coconut oil to it.
Wait till the water boils well. (Roll on boiling)
Now take out the batter and just make rough balls of it and drop one by one into the boiling water.
They will settle down at the bottom for some time.
Once they are boiled well they will start to come up.
It will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
By this time the water becomes like porridge with the flavour of coconut.
Transfer the hot boiled balls to plates and the porridge to cups and serve hot with spicy coconut chutney.
The hot rice porridge gives such a wonderful relish to throat.
- With once cup of grated coconut add 4 red chillies, 1/4 tea spoon asafoetida, pebble size tamarind and salt to taste.
- Put them in a blender and grind to thick coarse paste adding leass water.
- Do the seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves.