Few years ago, I went through the recipe of making Inji / Ginger Kuzhambu in a magazine and made it. We all just loved it very much and from then I started making it regularly at least twice a month.Since it is made using ginger, pepper and cumin , very good for digestion too. It is thick like a gravy with fine aroma and spiciness and it suits not only rice, but also Pongal and Upma. Just like vatha kuzhambu it can be kept for two days...
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Inji Kuzhambu / Tangy Ginger Gravy:
- Tamrind a big lemon size. (Soak and take 4 cups of juice)
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery a gooseberry size
- Oil 3 table spoons
- Mustard seeds, a red chilly and curry leaves for seasoning
For Kuzhambu paste:
- Ginger 50gms (wash well, peel and cut into pieces)
- Sambhar powder 2 tea spoons
- Pepper 1 tea spoon
- Cummin seeds / Jeeragam 1/2 tea spoon
- Small onions / Shallots 10
- Raw rice 1 teaspoon
Grind all the above items to fine paste with water and keep aside.
How to make Inji Kuzhambu / Tangy Ginger Gravy?
- Heat the kadaai with oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- After they splutter add turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Now add the tamarind juice and salt.
- When the tamarind juice boils and the raw smell goes add the paste, jaggery and allow it to boil till the gravy thickens.
- It serves four persons.