Vatha Kuzhambu when its made with the Orange peel, it turns out magical!! yes you will get addicted to its distinct taste and flavour. It is a traditional tangy, sweet and hot gravy that is served with palin rice. It also tastes delicious when had as a side dish with curd rice...
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 3
Ingredients for making Orange Peel Vatha Kuzhambu:
- Tamarind juice taken from a lemon size tamarind 500 ml
- Sambhar powder 3 tea spoons
- Orange peel taken from 2 Oranges
- Small onions / Shallots 5 or 6 chopped (optional)
- Sesame / Til / Gingelly oil 3 table spoons
- Salt to taste
- Jagerry a small gooseberry size
- Curry leaves few
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds / venthayam 1 tea spoon
- Thur dal 2 tea spoons
- Red chillies 2
- Asafoetida / Hing powder 1/4 tea spoon
How to make Orange Peel Vatha Kuzhambu?
- Wash the peel and chop in to thin pieces.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Do the seasoning and once they splutter add few curry leaves and fry the chopped orange peel in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Then add the shallots and sambhar powder to the oil and stir for few seconds.
- Pour in the tamarind juice.
- Add required salt and jagerry.
- Allow them to boil well till the kuzhambu thickens and oil separates.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- It can be kept for two or three days.