Rasam is indispensable for lunch in the daily menu of our family and we make endless varieties of Rasam. In Tirunelveli, Rasam is made without Rasam powder. Freshly ground spices are used for making the yummy rasam which is also very ideal to serve as the appetising soup...
- Pre time: 05 mins
- Cooking timer: 10 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Nellai Rasam:
- Tamarind a big gooseberry size
- Ripened tomatoes 2
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander seeds 3 tea spoons
- Thur dal 2 tea spoons
- Red chillies 2
- Garlic heads 5
- Black pepper 2 tea spoons
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Curry Leaves 8
- Ghee 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Hing powder 1/4 tea spoon
How to make Rasam without Rasam Powder (Nellai Rasam)?
- Chop one tomato and put it in a vessel with the tamarind.Soak them together in hot water for 20 minutes.Then squeeze them well and extract around 500 ml of juice.
- Boil this juice with turmeric powder, salt and another chopped tomato.
- While it is boiling grind the items given under grinding with water.
- When the raw smell goes add the mixture to the boiling rasam.
- Check out for the taste. Add required amount to water to adjust the taste. Garnish with coriander leaves. Do the seasoning.
- The rasam is ready to serve now.