A popular, lip smacking side dish for Aappam and Puttu made of Black Chenna. The blend of fresh spices, coconut and green chillies make this very inviting...
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Serves; 4
Ingredients needed for making Kadalai Curry:
- Black Channa/ Black chickpea 200 gms soaked for 8 hours and pressure cooked to soft with salt and water
- Thinly sliced onions or shallots (Baby Onions) 1 cup
- Tomato pure taken from 2 tomatoes
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Very finely chopped ginger 1/2 tea spoon
- Curry leaves
- Slitted green chillies 3
- Oil 3 table spoons
For Masala Powder
Dry roast 5 cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 cardamom, 1/2 star aniseed, and a pinch of nutmeg till nice aroma comes, and coarsely powder them , keep aside.
For Masala Paste:
- Fresh coconut 3 table spoons
- Fennel seeds/ Saunf / Sombu 1/2 tea spoon
- Khus khus / kasa kasa 2 tea spoons
Grind all the three to paste adding some water and keep aside.
How to make Kadalai Curry?
Heat a Pan with oil and fry the onions till they become light brown.
Now add the green chillies, few curry leaves, ginger and the powdered spices and saute for a while.
Add the tomato puree, red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and allow them to boil till the oil separates.
Now add the coconut paste and stir well till the raw smell goes.
Put the boiled channa witht he water to the pan.
Check out for the salt and spiciness. If needed add more.
Pour some water and wait till the stuff thickens to gravy form.
Garnish with curry leaves