A soft, thin and flat bread which is a part of Punjabi cuisine. Traditionally it is made with Maida. I tried the same with Maida and Whole wheat flour and other than the colour there was no need for compromise in taste and texture..
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Rumali Roti:
- All purpose flour / maida 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Warm Milk 150 ml
- Oil 3 table spoons
How to make Rumali Roti?
- In a wide bowl put the flours, salt and oil together and mix well with hand for five minutes.
- Slowly add the warm milk to the stuff and knead to soft dough.
- Keep kneading the dough for some time to make it soft.
- Grease some oil on the prepared dough and cover it with a moist cloth.
- Allow it to rest for an hour.
- Now take some flour in a plate for dusting.
- Take large lemon size balls from the dough and with the rolling pin make thin , big rotis.
- Since maida is added, it will help to stretch the roti to desired size.
- Mean while heat a wider empty pan for three minutes, and keep it upside down on the stove.
- Now the bottom of the pan serves as the tawa for the roti.
- Keep a bowl of water aside.
- Sprinkle few drops of water on the heated pan and gently place the rolled roti on the pan.
- Wait for a minute.
- With a cotton towel slightly press the sides.
- Flip off the other side.
- Once you start watching the bubbles all over remove the roti.
- Fold it like kerchiefs and serve hot with any gravy.