Are you bored of making sambar, morkuzhambu and vatha kuzhambus for lunch often? Try this differently flavoured, aromatic, traditional, creamy and tasty kuzhambu form the Southern most part of Tamilnadu that suits Rice, Aappam, Idli, Upma and Dosa. Learnt it from My mother-in-law who has been cooking this since 40 years. Once you try this simple Kuzhambu you will start making this often...
Ingredients for making Varutharaicha Kuzhambu:
- Tamarind – a big lemon size
- Vegetable- drumstick or brinjal or shallots or Ashgourd 10 to 12 pieces
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil 1 tea spoon, Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon for seasoning
- Curry leaves
Ingredients for Kuzhambu Paste:
In a pan heat 2 tea spoons of oil.
Add 1 table spoon dhania, 1 tea spoon raw rice, ½ tea spoon fenugreek, 2 tea spoons thur dhal and 6 red chillies to it and fry them to golden colour. Allow them to cool down.
After they become cool add 3 tb spoons of grated coconut and grind well with some water to smooth paste and keep aside.
Method of making Varuthariacha Kuzhambu
Boil Vegetables in extracted Tamarind juice of 4 cups adding required salt.
After the vegetables become soft and the tamarind water becomes half in quantity add the paste and mix well.
When the gravy thickens switch off the stove. Sauté with mustard seeds and curry leaves in Coconut oil.
- When we have more curd in stock, I reduce the amount of tamarind. Mix the ground paste with 2 cups of blended curd and add to the boiling vegetables in tamarind juice.
- Mix well and wait till the foam and bubbles form.
- Switch off the stove and do the seasoning.
- This also tastes yummy.