In a marriage this tangy pickle was served and I was totally carried away by its taste. To my surprise I couldn't found , out of which vegetable this was made. I asked the server and he told it was made out of eggplant. Amazing side dish for curd rice, idli, Dosa and Roti. I got the recipe from the chef and made it very next day itself....
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Eggplant Tangy Pickle (Kathirikkai Puli Thokku):
- Brinjals/Eggplants/Auberigines 6
- Finely chopped green chillies 3
- Thick tamarind juice extracted from a lemon size tamarind 200 ml
- Red chilli powder 2 tea spoon
- Jagerry powder 1 tb spoon
- Oil 3 tb spoons
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Hing powder 1/4 tea spoon and few curry leaves
- Roasted fenugreek powder 1/2 tea spoon
How to make Eggplant Tangy Pickle (Kathirikkai Puli Thokku)?
- In a kadai dry roast 2 tea spoons of fenugreek to golden brown and after it gets cooled down, powder it and keep aside.
- Finely chop the Brinjals of 1cm cubes
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add redchillies, green chillies and chopped brinjals and keep frying till the brinjals change the colour in medium flame.
- Now add the turmeric powder and hing powder and curry leaves. Stir well.
- Pour the tamarind juice to it and add required salt.
- Allow it to boil in medium flame.
- When the gravy thickens add the jagerry powder.
- Let it boil till becomes thick and oil separates.
- Sprinkle the roasted fenugreek powder and switch off the stove.
We call it Badnekai Gojju in Kannada :)ReplyDelete