Pre time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients for making Kaara Kuzhambu:
- Tamarind juice: 500 ml from a small lemon size tamarind
- Brinjals 4
- Shallots or baby onions 10
- Finely chopped tomatoes from 1 tomato big size
- Coconut shredded 3 table spoons
- Coriander seed powder 1 tb spoon
- Red chilli powder 1 and 1/2 tea spoons
- Jagerry / Vellam a small pebble size
- Gingelly oil 3 table spoons
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds / Venthayam 1 tea spoon
- Red chillies 3
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
How to make Kaara Kuzhambu?
- Wash the brinjals and cut them to long pieces.
- Peel the baby onions and cut them into big pieces.
- Grind then ccoconut to paste with water and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Do the seasoning with mustard seeds, fenugreek, red chillies.
- Once they splutter fry the onions for a minute.
- Add the brinjals, turmeric powder and fry for two more minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry till they become mushy and cooked.
- Add curry leaves.
- Pour the tamarind juice and add required salt.
- Once the raw smell of tamarind goes put the coriander seed powder and red chilli powder with jagerry.
- When the Kuzhambu thickens add the coconut paste and mix well.
- Add some fresh curry leaves and switch off when the oil separates.