Vaththa Kuzhambu is the tangy and spicy kuzhambu of Tamil nadu with heavenly taste. Nothing could equalise the taste of Vatha kuzhambu as the side dish for Curd rice. Usually We relish Vatha kuzhambu rice by adding a tea spoon of gingelly / sesame oil to hot steaming rice and mix vatha kuzhambu with the rice. Roasted Pappad is the best combo for this. Every society of Tamil nadu has its own version of making vatha Kuzhambu. Sri Rangam vatha kuzhambu is known for its special flavour and unique taste...
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Srirangam Vatha Kuzhambu:
- Tamarind extract from a large Lemon size Tamarind 4 cups
- Baby Onions / Chinna Vengayam or Drum stick pieces (Optional)
- Jaggery a goose berry size
- Salt to taste
- Sesame / Gingelly Oil 100 ml
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida / Hing powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Red chillies 2
- Curry leaves few
For Vatha Kuzhambu Powder:
Dry roast the following items one by one in a pan to golden brown and powder them together ( Except Roasted Fenugreek) to fine powder after they cool down.
- Fenu greek / Venthayam 2 tea spoons (Dry roast to golden brown and powder it. Keep it aside)
- Coriander Seeds 4 tea spoons
- Red chillies 6
- Pepper corns 2 tea spoons
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Thur dal 2 tea spoons
- Chana dal / Kadalai paruppu 2 tea spoons
- Raw rice 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal 2 tea spoons
- Curry leaves hand ful (Washed neatly and wiped)
How to make Srirangam Vatha Kuzhambu?
Heat a pan with 3/4 th of the oil mentioned.
Add mustard seeds, red chillies, asafoetida. Once they splutter add the curry leaves.
Now fry the baby onions / drumstick pieces in it for 2 minutes.
Add the powdered Fenugreek / venthaya powder tot he frying onions and stir.
Pour the tamarind juice in to it.
Add salt, turmeric powder and jagerry.
Allow them to boil till the onions / drumsticks become soft.
Add the Vatha Kuzhambu powder to the boiling stuff and mix well.
Wait till the kuzhambu thickens.
Finally add the remaining oil tot he boiling stuff and switch off the stove.
Instead of adding onions or drumstick you can also add fried Sun dried Turkey berry / Sundaikkai Vathal finally to the Vatha kuzhambu.