Keerai sambhar is a popular South Indian Kuzhambu variety served with rice. Keerai Sambhar also serves as the good side dish for Roti and Chapathi. Since it is made with less oil and more dhal, obviously its good for health....
- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making the Keerai Sambhar:
- Well washed, drained and chopped greens - 3 cups (Keerai)
- Tamarind juice (Thin consistency) from a gooseberry size - 2 cups
- Boiled / Pressure cooked Thur dal from 4 tb spoons of Thur dal
- Sambhar powder - 3 tea spoons
- Green Chillies slitted into two - 2
- Mustard seeds, cummin seeds, Hing, Fenugreek (For seasoning)
Method for making the Keerai Sambhar:
Heat a kadai with 2 tea spoons of oil.
Do the seasoning with mustard seeds, cummin seeds, fenugreek of 1/2 tea spoon each, green chillies and hing.
Then add the chopped greens, turmeric powder and 1/2 tea spoon of sugar and stir well for a minute.
Now add the tamarind juice and salt.
Let it boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Now add 2 or 3 tea spoons of Sambhar powder and mix well.
Add the boiled dhal. When everything mixes well and boils switch off the stove.
Note: Instead of sambhar powder you can also add 2 tea spoons of dhania powder and 1 tea spoon of red chilli powder.