- Pre time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Puli Pongal:
- Rice Rawa 1 cup
- Thin diluted tamarind extract from a gooseberry size tamarind 3 cups
- Sesame oil / Gingelly Oil 4 table spoons
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Urad dal and Chana dal 2 tea spoons each
- Peanuts 2 tb spoons
- Red chillies broken to pieces - 7 chillies
- Asafoetida / Hing powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Curry leaves few
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Jagerry powder 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
How to make Puli Pongal / Tangy Pongal?
In a mixie / blender add raw rice and give few turns to make it like a fine rava. Keep it aside.
Heat a pressure cooker or pan with 4 tb spns of sesame oil.
Do the seasoning b adding mustard, urad dal, chana dal, red chillies, peanuts, and curry leaves.
Once the dals get roasted add the asafoetida powder and hing powder and stir for two seconds.
Pour in the tamarind juice.
Add required salt and 1 teaspoons of jagerry powder to it.
Once it starts to boil add the rice rava and mix well.
Close it with the lid and pressure cook to 3 whistles.
Once the steam is released transfer the boiled stuff (Puli Pongal) to a greased plate and spread evenly.
Allow it get cooled down for 20 to 30 mins.
Cut them in to pieces and serve the Puli Pongal.
Making them in to pieces is purely optional.
It can also be had once it is ready in the pressure cooker.
The pappads and vadams are the best combo for this Puli Pongal.