The amount of oil or fat added, its temperature and how long we fry definitely determines the taste of the final dish. Here are few Smart Samayal Tips you can follow while frying..
Tips On Frying:
- Heat the oil thoroughly before adding seasonings or vegetables.
- Fry the seasonings until they change colour, to get full flavour of seasonings.
- If masala sticks to the pan, that shows quantity of fat included is not enough.
- Add some hot oil and 1/2 tsp of baking soda in batter while making Pakodas. Also Pakodas will turn out crisper if a little corn flour is added to the gram flour (besan) while preparing the batter.
- When coconut is used in grinding masala, do not fry for a longer time.
- If you are making patties or tikkis of potatoes, always make sure that the potatoes are boiled well in advance and cooled before you use them. It would be better if they can be refrigerated for a short time. This helps the starch in the potatoes to settle down and the tikkis will not be gooey.
- Smoke Mustard oil first before using for preparing vegetables etc.. by heating to a point till light white smoke emerges from it. This would remove the potency from the oil.
- Poori can be rolled and place between well-rinsed wet muslin cloth at least an hour ahead and can be Fried before serving.
- To make pooris more crispy add a little rice flour to the wheat flour while kneading.
- Sprinkle a little amount of salt in the pan before frying. That way it will not splatter all over.
Fried Recipes from BHOJANA:
Bitter Gourd Fry
Taro Root (Sepankizhangu) Fry