Recently I attended a marriage and had the opportunity of tasting a sumptuous flavourful Rasam . I couldn't resist myself from meeting the chef and getting the recipe. I made this rasam today and it came out exactly like the one I had in the feast. Here is the recipe for you....Share This Recipe..
Serves: 4 to 6
Serves: 4 to 6
Ingredients for making Special Rasam:
- Tamarind a small lemon size
- Ripened tomatoes of normal size 2
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Well boiled Thur dal from 2 tb spoon of thur dal 1 cup
For Rasam Powder:
- Coriander seeds 2 tb spoons
- Thur dal 1 tea spoon
- Bengal Gram 1 tea spoon
- Red chillies 3 or 4
- Dry roast the above items till they become hot and slightly change the colour. Powder them coarsely and keep aside.
- Take 1 tea spoon of pepper and 2 tea spoons of jeeragam (Cumin seed). Powder them separately without roasting to a coarse powder and keep aside.
How to make Special Rasam?
- Extract 500 ml of juice from tamarind and boil it with a chopped tomato, salt and turmeric powder. Add a small piece of jagerry to it.
- Wait till the juice becomes half in quantity.
- Now add the Rasam powder and mix well. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes.
- Now mix 2 cups of water with boiled thur dal and add to the boiling rasam.
- Chop the other tomato to small pieces and add to it.
- Wait for the rasam to give out bubbles.
- In a sauteing pan add 2 tea spoons of ghee. Add mustard seeds. After it splutters add 1/4 tea spoon hing powder and the pepper, cumin seed powder. Transfer it to the rasam.
- Add chopped curry leaves and Coriander leaves.
- Use freshly ground powder for original taste.
- Cumin seeds must dominate the flavour than the pepper flavour.
- Sauteing should be done in ghee.
- After adding the boiled thurdal water, the rasam should not boil for long time.