A typical Kerala Kuzhambu Variety and my Mother in law's one more signature recipe. When we are bored of making Spinach kootu and curry this recipe gives a good change in taste from the usual one. This goes very well with rice to have pappad as side dish....
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Keerai Puliserri:
- Arai keerai or Thandu Keerai (Indian Spinach) 1 bunch
- Coconut grated 5 tb spoons
- Green chillies 3 and red chillies 2
- Thick butter milk without any lumps with very mild sourness 300 ml
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil 2 tea spoons
- Mustard seeds, a red chilli and 1/2 tea spoon fenugreek seeds for sauteing
Method for making Keerai Puliserri:
- Remove the thick bottom stems and take the leaves alone from the spinach bundle.
- Wash them well and chop.
- Grind the coconut and chillies to fine paste with water. Mix the paste with butter milk and keep aside.
- Now heat a wok with coconut oil and add the sauteing items.
- After they splutter and fenugreek becomes brown add the chopped leaves and fry well.To retain the colour of the spinach add half tea spoon of sugar.
- Add a cup of water and salt and let the spinach to cook well till it becomes soft.
- Once the water is evoparated mash the spinach well with the back of the ladle.
- Add the buttermilk mix to it and mix well.
- Wait till the gravy starts coming up with bubbles and switch off the stove.
- Don't allow it to boil well like other kuzhambus.
very creamy and comforting dishReplyDelete