Try this different method of making Kovakkai that sounds tasty and spicy to have with any rice. Very ideal side dish for lunch box also...
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Kovakkai / Ivy Gourd Masala Fry:
- Kovakkai / Ivy gourd 500 gms
- Salt 1/2 tea spoon
- Asafoetida 1/4 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Oil 3 table spoons
- Mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds 1 tea spoon each for seasoning
- Curry leaves few
For Masala Powder:
- Coriander seeds 3 table spoons
- Chana dal / Kadalai Paruppu 2 table spoons
- Red chillies 6
- Coconut 2 table spoons
Heat a pan with 2 tea spoons of oil and fry all the items except coconut to golden brown and finally add coconut and stir for 1 more minute and switch off the stove.
Once they get cooled down powder the stuff and keep aside.
How to make Kovakkai / Ivy Gourd Masala Fry?
- Wash the veggies and remove the tip on both the edges.
- Cut them vertically to four pieces.
- Pressure cook them to two whistles in a pressure cooker with salt and turmeric powder after sprinkling handful of water.
- Once the steam is released keep them aside.
- Heat a pan with 3 table spoons of oil and do the seasoning with mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Add the asafoetida too.
- Transfer the pressure cooked veggies in to the pan and stir well.
- Let them get fried for 5 to 10 minutes and stir them at regular intervals.
- When the water is completely absorbed add the masala powder to the pan and mix well.
- Now keep the flame to low and let them get fried well with the spicy powder for 5 more minutes.
- Switch off the stove.