Who says only chutney and sambar are the best combo for idlis? Try this simple onion and tomato kuruma as a side dish for idlis. You will really enjoy the taste. Though this is the exclusive kuruma made as the side dish for idlis it also pairs very well with chapathis...
- Pre time: 07 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 3
Ingredients for making Simple Kuruma for Idlis:
- Thinly sliced onions from 3 onions
- Finely chopped Tomatoes from 3 tomatoes
- Slitted green chillies 4 or 5
- Oil 3 table spoon
- Curry leaves
- Coconut 3 table spoons
- Kasa kasa/ Poppy seeds / khus khus 3 tea spoons
- Fennel seeds/ Saunf/ Sombu 1 tea spoon
Grind the above three ingredients with water to paste and keep aside.
How to make Simple Kuruma for Idlis?
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Fry the onions and green chillies till the onions become golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes and few curry leaves.
- Add required salt.
- Fry for few seconds, keep the flame to medium and cover the pan.
- After five minutes open the lid and stir well.
- Wait till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add the paste and mix well.
- Check out for salt and hotness.
- If needed add a pinch of red chilli powder.
- Pour two cups of water and switch off after it reaches gravy consistency.