Green gram kichadi is an authentic Maharashtrian recipe made of split green gram, rice and some spices. A comfort and healthy food while craving to have something spicy and healthy. I tasted this in a Pune restaurant few years back. Any pickle and raita is served as side dish...
- Pre time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Serves 4
ALSO SEE THE RECIPES OF PALAK KICHADI & RAVA KICHADI
Ingredients for making Green gram Kichadi:
- Raw rice or Basmathi rice 1 cup
- Split green gram 3/4 cup
- Onions and tomatoes chopped finely 1/2 cup each
- Slit green chillies 1
- Cloves -2 and a small piece of cinnamon stick
- Chopped garlic pearls 4
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Coriander seed powder 2 tea spoons
- Red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seed powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Garam masala powder or Pav bhaji masala powder 1/4 tea spoon (optional)
- Mustard seeds, urad dal ,cumin seeds and curry leaves for seasoning
- Ghee 3 table spoons
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
How to make Green gram Kichadi?
Wash the green gram and soak in water for 2 hours.
Wash the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
Pressure cook both together in a pressure cooker adding slat and water.
For the above said measurement of rice and green add 5 cups of water.
Heat a pan with ghee and do the seasoning with the given items.
Add the clove cinnamon, green chillies and garlic.After few stirs fry onions for two minutes.
Now add all the powders and mix well.
Put the tomatoes too and fry till the tomatoes become mushy.
Now open the cooker and with a ladle slightly mash the cooked rice and dal and add to the pan and mix well.
Check out for salt and if needed add more.
Pour two cups of water to the pan and stir well.
When the stuff comes to thick porridge consistency switch off the flame.
Garnish with the coriander leaves.