An authentic recipe from Tambrahmin Cuisine fully packed with flavours . It is very good for health and makes the lunch blissful.Mix this milagu kuzhambu with hot steaming rice with a teaspoon of sesame oil and Paruppu Thogayal (Dal Chutney) as side dish & enjoy the divine taste. This milagu kuzhambu also tastes heavenly as the side dish for curd rice.
- Pre time: 05 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for making Milagu Kuzhambu:
- Tamarind juice from a lemon size tamarind 3 cups
- Drumstick / Lady's finger / brinjal pieces 8 to 10
- Salt to taste
- Jagerry powder 1 tb spoon
- Turmeric powder
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Curry leaves few
- Gingelly oil 4 table spoons
For Kuzhambu Paste:
- Red chillies 3
- Pepper corns 3 table spoons
- Urad dal 2 table spoons
- Curry leaves handful neatly washed
Method of making Milagu Kuzhambu / Pepper Corn Gravy:
- In a pan heat 2 tea spoons of oil.
- Fry the urad dal, red chillies and pepper corns till the dal becomes golden brown.
- Add the curry leaves and give few turns.
- Switch off.
- After it gets cooled, grind to paste with water and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed wok heat rest of the gingelly oil and do the seasoning with mustard and cumin.
- Once they splutter fry the veggies for few seconds and pour in the tamarind extract.
- Add the salt, turmeric and asafoetida.
- Wait till the veggies become soft.
- Pour in the grounded paste with little water.
- Add jagerry.
- Boil till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with curry leaves.